Family members on motorcycles

Buckster

I will kick this off with my grandfather, this was either taken in Kent or in Hungary, him and my grandmother used to travel around by outfit on holiday fruit picking

grandadmc.jpg.2778719f7348123afd0e58c93aa3cebd.jpg

My father at Roseberry Topping, don't ask what is on his head.

dad_enfield350.jpg.f322db97f68c8a233ad0171b2560c0fa.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Great idea for a thread @Buckster!

Nobody in my family ever rode motorcycles........I was the first! My old girl was disgusted by it.......but then she was disgusted by everything I did as I recall! :classic_laugh:

So the only family pics I have with bikes are with sons......and as you know I have a wide selection by different females to choose from! 

Yes @Buckster........I fornicated throughout the 70's, 80's, and 90's! In fact my DNA trail now stretches from the UK to the Netherlands and right across to Eastern Poland near the Ukraine border! :classic_cool:

Anyway here's son number 1 (Paul.....who's now 43) in 1978.

FILE60154.JPG.0061fead6fceb5bd60e22470e77eb4a1.JPG

Here's Paul again in 1981......

12.jpg.202fe6c7c5e3fca791cf6057113f245a.jpg

And here's son number 5 (Scott.....who's now 30) in 2004.

FILE566.JPG.d3a30af0530527289ae512e1c152c0f7.JPG

FILE60060.JPG.f0f5d93655f6383a90facc3425a654c9.JPG

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Buckster said:

That's why I said family members, rather than ancestors, not many have the legacy.

You have the legacy for sure Ian!

But none of my five are interested in bikes.......so the gene that first manifested itself within me skipped the the next generation.

I'll openly admit that I didn't encourage it though. Hypocritical I know......but I've been lucky, they may not have been.

However my eldest grandson in Poland is REALLY into bikes and trains. So if the gene has lived on.....it's in him!

• Like 2

No ancestors of mine rode motorcycles, got no offspring and probably will never have any, so it starts and ends here.

Couple of stories though, my grandad once got the clap while in the army driving trucks (he didn't get the clap actually driving the trucks, more likely on a stop somewhere :dancebanana: ) , and they lent him a service motorcycle to go the pharmacy to buy penicillin, army base was in Alentejo quite far from a town. He learned to ride a motorcycle that day, right before riding it through a fence. He didn't ride anymore, and didn't get penicillin that day either :classic_laugh:

My girlfriend, Maria, remembering how to ride on her CRF230, she much rather preferred touring with me on the GS, though, but we had fun on the dirt bikes as well.

• Like 5

My uncle was the motorcyclist in our family he had an BMW 100rs my same as this

BMW_R100RS.thumb.jpg.79cd28f25c3e22a22f1692f43d0a25a0.jpg

He used to ride with an open faced helmet so he could smoke when he rode, he always had a rolley stuck to his lip, the dash of the bike was covered in fag ash and there were nip burns everywhere. He bought it new and kept it until he past away. He put over 100,000 miles on it he also owned a moto guzzi V50 

My father had an old scooter which is still in one of his sheds in bits somewhere. For him it was just transport

one of these ugly things 

9865949.jpg.127fec1d07ef2db45d662eb971aa4193.jpg

My younger brother had a short run with bikes but never really got under his skin like it did with me and my elder brother and sister were just into cars

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I tried to restore it when i was 16 Alan and just couldn't get hold of a piston back then or the exhaust manifold so gave up on it 

They didn't have eBay when you were sixteen though. ?

10 hours ago, Specs said:

They didn't have eBay when you were sixteen though. ?

I've tried since with no luck, only way i could think of getting it done is to get the parts manufactured but i don't like scooters enough to even look into it lol

• Haha 1

Wish I had a few relatives to post, but I'm the last surviving member of our family in the US - the rest are still in Germany and I've never met any of them. None rode bikes that I know of, so I'll just go with this guy...

German biker.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Earache said:

Wish I had a few relatives to post, but I'm the last surviving member of our family in the US - the rest are still in Germany and I've never met any of them. None rode bikes that I know of, so I'll just go with this guy...

German biker.jpg

Here he is when it got sehr nippy.

German motorcycle courier in Eastern Front, 1942.jpg

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Clive said:

Daughter had a Piaggio scoot for a year ?............no other bike interest in my family..

My son never shown any interest in bikes or cars......he,s 40 year old and never held a driving licence!!!

But lager and not going to work he is well into!?

My sons don't drive either......I just don't get it, cos when we were young getting a licence was our first taste of independence and freedom.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XTreme said:

My sons don't drive either......I just don't get it, cos when we were young getting a licence was our first taste of independence and freedom.

Forget about independence and freedom, what I don't get is that they try to limit themselves like that. Even if you don't care about bikes or cars, being able to get in a vehicle and drive around is a useful skill.

2 minutes ago, Mawsley said:

There's better ones of Sue racing around France on her ER5 but I've no idea where they've vanished to.

And celebrations rang out in this house the day my lad's learner licence expired.

Nobody here has seen your Tiger yet Dave......cos the last time you were on was during lockdown and you were still waiting for it.

You wanna stick up some pics!

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Forget about independence and freedom, what I don't get is that they try to limit themselves like that. Even if you don't care about bikes or cars, being able to get in a vehicle and drive around is a useful skill.

Holding a driving licence opens up so many job opportunities in the world today its a no brainer, unless you don't want a job that is ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 08/09/2020 at 11:54, Clive said:

Daughter had a Piaggio scoot for a year ?............no other bike interest in my family..

My son never shown any interest in bikes or cars......he,s 40 year old and never held a driving licence!!!

But lager and not going to work he is well into!?

that's not great

This is my Dad, sometime in the early sixties.  That was the first bike I ever rode on, he took me out on the back across the moors , no helmets or any other bike gear.  I suppose I was about 8 years old and I can remember that it frightened me at first but I loved the freedom of it.

My dad never got to see me ride a motorcycle as he died when I was 15, I often wonder if he would of approved of my biking.

1126726090_Dadonbike.jpeg.13477b3fc4b0d99f4cf46f82a0ea2cbb.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

This is my Dad, sometime in the early sixties.  That was the first bike I ever rode on, he took me out on the back across the moors , no helmets or any other bike gear.  I suppose I was about 8 years old and I can remember that it frightened me at first but I loved the freedom of it.

My dad never got to see me ride a motorcycle as he died when I was 15, I often wonder if he would of approved of my biking.

1126726090_Dadonbike.jpeg.13477b3fc4b0d99f4cf46f82a0ea2cbb.jpeg

I can see the resemblance Bob!

• Like 1