Welcome Bruce Jolliffe

Admin

Hi XTreme... Thanks for the welcome.

I have a question...

Define adventure? (...in motorcycling)

Also, I have a second question...

Why does no-one use their own name on the internet?

Anyway, I look forward to some chatter...

I found you guys via twitter, @brucejolliffe if you wanted to follow back.

• Thanks 1

Adventure? I think most people think of it as offroad stuff.......but I'd say it was whatever anybody wants it to be given their their specific circumstances.

Real names.....forums traditionally have worked on usernames. Whereas Social Media came along later and worked on real names.

Followed back! ?

• Like 1

I've never bought into this adventure stuff that gets thrown about everywhere, to me the word Adventure just adds money to products for wannabees to buy.  Every time i ride doesn't matter if its 5 mile or 500 mile its what i consider an adventure.

• Like 3

Hi Bruce - welcome!

Everytime I ride my bike it seems it's an adventure of some sort. Doesn't have to be off road or around the World - could be a nip down to the shops.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Me too Fred, I still call them trail bikes and big trailies ?

I remember when we called them Scramblers!

Weird thing is that what they market as Scramblers now look like road bikes with high pipes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the comments so far. Just what I hoped for. #confirmationbias

To me... Adventure is a state of mind. In keeping with the root of the word.

"Middle English: from Old French aventure (noun), aventurer (verb), based on Latin adventurus ‘about to happen’, from advenire ‘arrive"

No, as far as two wheeled adventures go the previous two days had it all... unless your measurement of 'it all' needs to include soft gravel and dropping machinery through ineptitude.

Anyway. Maybe I'll share the trip. I have maps, and two pointless photos... but adventure is about personal experience and not just superficial Facebook type grandiose ego massage... right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bruce Jolliffe said:

unless your measurement of 'it all' needs to include soft gravel and dropping machinery through ineptitude.

Exactly......because that's where it's ended up now.

If you look on AdvRider there's pics everywhere of guys with seriously expensive bikes posing with them when they're on the deck in some offroad location. 

I can remember when binning your bike wasn't something to be proud of! Now it seems to be the measure of peoples' credibility! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

Exactly......because that's where it's ended up now.

If you look on AdvRider there's pics everywhere of guys with seriously expensive bikes posing with them when they're on the deck in some offroad location. 

I can remember when binning your bike wasn't something to be proud of! Now it seems to be the measure of peoples' credibility! 

And then you get that quote "just doing what the bike was designed for" It didn't go down well with some when i pointed out the bike was designed to wear the tyres out before the bodywork. 

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

welcome from Moon, also known as...erm... Moon... yes it's a nickname but that's what i'm known as in real life too, and was before the internet ever existed. Adventure is, much like life itself, what you make of it depending on abilities bith physical and mental, circumstances and budget. For some people nuying the latest gear and bike and riding down the highway to starbucks, is in itself an adventure, others will need to ride the world in extreme conditions to fell thay've lived an adventure. I do my thing and try not to judgemental. most o the peeps on here "do their own thing" and their own way but we all ride.